Isolation, Physical Distancing and Domestic Violence
The hardest part about being stuck in your house, is being
stuck in your house with Domestic Violence. At least before the kids and I had
been able to go to school during the day and have some freedom.
Week one at home wasn't that bad. I heard him yell at my mom from
time to time at night, but it was contained, and I did worry about her.
Then week two came along and it started to flow out of the room and through the
house. Wednesday, he yelled at her because she didn't want to sit outside
with him because it was cold. Yesterday because she didn't want my dog to be
outside while other dogs had been off leash, which is a rule. So, I intervened,
and he started to take it out on me. I will take it because I don't want him to
yell at my mom anymore. Today is my mom's birthday. Stuck in a house with
an abuser and not even able to take her out. I got her flowers delivered,
a beautiful sun hat and sadly I burnt dinner, but I tried. That made him
angry that I burnt dinner, so he was already upset. Then the delivery men came
with some groceries which ended up being one item from the entire delivery
because everything else was out of stock. What does he do, he decided to
yell at the poor delivery folks on her birthday, in front of her and all the neighbors?
Super embarrassing. I don't know what to do anymore as mom won't tell his
doctor's because she is afraid that he will one of these days kill her. I
told her that is WHY she NEEDS to tell his doctor's. But she won't.
Domestic
Violence is no joke and years of it really messes up someone's mind.
Being stuck in a house where you can't run away sucks. I can't take her
anywhere because I don't have a job to do it. I had a support system that
ran away from me, someone who was going to help me through these two years of
school and they just bounced... I can't even lean on them to figure out how to
get us out of this situation and how to save my mom. SO, here I am
writing to the world of my troubles. Domestic Violence happens all the
time.
The worst
part is we as victims are not protected. The cops have come to the house so
many times and you know what they do, absolutely nothing. NOTHING AT ALL.
Instead they kick the kids, myself and my mom out and ask if there is someplace,
we can go until HE, THE ABUSER calms down. This is what victims live with. WE
GET DISPLACED. We have to leave our lives behind. My animals are left behind. I
have to worry about them being injured while we are being asked to leave
clothes, essentials, homework, personal belongings BEHIND. Sometimes for days I
live out of the kindness of my sister's heart until my kids and I can go home.
But what happens right now when I can't do that, especially because I may have
COVID-19? We are isolated in this house because I have symptoms and I
can't even get tested as they are not "severe" enough to warrant a
test. I will only get tested if these symptoms keep getting worse and I end up in the ER, which may happen. Every single day I get worse and it gets harder to function. I guess we will see what happens. I hope that it is just a flu, that is getting bad because it is going from rain to sun to rain to sun. I am hoping that if it isn't, that someone will step up and watch my babies and my mom while I am being cared for. And if something does happen to me, god forbid, that someone will take care of my mom and she will find a way to become free from years of abuse. I am here as a buffer for now, but being sick makes me realize that I may not always be here as a buffer forever and that truly scares me. The only reason he doesn't do anything while I am here, is because he knows I will defend her before I ever defend him.
Remember with Domestic Violence, we don't get a choice when it comes time to leave. We lose so much as we don't have rights to things that are OURS. When we make the choice to take our lives back, we lose so much. Starting over isn't easy when the system is against you. Someday you may be a landlord that has a potential new tentant with no income history that is a survivor of abuse, think twice before you say no. You may be a new begining for this person and if you say no, you may be sending them back to their abuser. Be the change that we so badly need. Be the difference. Save someone's life.
Comments